View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #16
Vic1947

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
A friend of mine has a coyote swap in a 1990 mustang with a t56. His has the Ford performance swap harness and it worked pretty good just a few minor issues. The engine is all stock but has headers and a cold air intake. Occasionally it will die when pulling up to a light but will fire right back up. I guess they are real sensitive to any mods and will require a tune. The crazy thing is the car sounds like a stock 1990 mustang 5.0 with flowmasters and idles smooth but has twice the power. Now I want to swap one or an Ecoboost into my 64 Fairlane.
I'll probably be using the Holley Terminator X setup for Gen2 Coyotes. I have a friend locally that's an expert on those ECU's. Before I decided on the Coyote, though, I seriously considered an Ecoboost. From what I could tell, there wasn't a lot of aftermarket support for the 10-speed automatic most of them came with. Plus, they're a lot bigger than you'd think. I looked an early Mustang swap on YouTube and it barely fit. I'll be removing the shock towers to make room, so space wouldn't have been a big issue, but I figured if you're going to go that route, why not get the stouter drivetrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Nice score on the engine Vic. Hotrod Express should be a good source of information to help you with any problems you run across with that engine. I remember going there about 7 yrs ago and seeing a 60s era Mustang they swapped a coyote engine in to.
Thanks, Scott. It's good to know Rick and his crew have done a swap like that. I haven't been by their shop for a few months, but I need to take the GN down there for them to see before the weather turns to crap.

I've been busy framing up a cart to transport the Fairlane to Indy for chemical stripping. As you can see, there's a lot of tin worm that needs to be dissolved - as well as undercoat, bondo, seam sealer and paint.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote