View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
snowball

Re: Alternator wire routing

Thanks Lead foot. trying to figure some of your instructions. here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH Lead-Foot View Post

With key-on / engine-off, if you have B+, then install a fused jumper wire to the lights wire. This will make the bulb come on steady. Good. You have tested the dash light circuit.

The use of a 460 ohm 1/2 watt resistor used in series from the key switch will work the same way the dash bulb does now. On passenger cars, for years, they wired a 460 ohm resistor in parallel with the bulb. Bulb goes out, reduced current at B+ still allows the alternator to work.
I think you're saying to plug the resistor between the L and S connection on the wiring harness side for the alternator plug. Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH Lead-Foot View Post
I believe you said the bulb was blinking, even thought I have never seen that, but if it passes the above test, the problem is in the alternator. Easy fix with front / rear bearing, new brushes and a diode trio.
What I mean by blinking, is sometimes it's on. Sometimes it's off. If I tug on the wiring that connects to the alternator plug, I can get the light to go off and stay off, and get 14.4 V. but over time and with virbrations, the light comes back on, and voltage drops back down to B+

I pulled the alternator and brought it to my local parts shop. They tested it and it passed. I explained the situation, and since it had a lifetime warranty, they replaced it anyhow. Still have the same problem.