View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
hotwls13

Re: Paint peeling off pretty easy... how far to chase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Looking at the picture posted, with primer showing on both sides of where the paint chip was removed, this would indicate to me that proper prep was not done between coats. Painting is a process and not all involves painting alone. Mechanical and/or chemical bonds should be observed, with steps taken during the process to promote these adhesion properties. No offense intended toward the OP, as I don't think this is his work, but this falls in the same category as I've mentioned before about POR type paints. The hype lends to shortcuts taken, same runs true IMO for rattle can primers. When things are made too easy, people tend to forget about the complete prep process. Unfortunately this shows the result of that line of thinking, with no way to tell where the next area is that will have delamination from lack of adhesion prep.

Strip it now or strip it later.
No offense taken. Not my handywork, this is how I acquired the truck. Though I AM one of "those" guys that likes the shortcuts. haha I'm actually contemplating rattle canning this whole truck. I know I know. But, this isn't my forever truck and I just want to drive it and have it still look cool.
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote