View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
MARTINSR

Re: Maximum Filler Thickness

LOL, this is a funny ass subject.

First off, it's subjective in that where is this 1/4" filler and over how large an area? If you were doing some mashed up tight metal like at the end of a quarter around the tail light and you pulled a zillion pulls and hit everything up from the back and you had this mashed metal basically back into the shape of a quarter panel and tail light mounting and you needed up with a 1/4" here and there in small areas that you couldn't get to for what ever reason, that really isn't a big deal. If the metal was prepped properly, if the filler was mixed and applied properly, this isn't a big deal. That filler will last a life time, we will be dead and gone and it will still be there under the paint, no one the wiser.

But let's look at a different repair, a roof or hood with some vicious dents with stretched metal where the 1/4" bondo is covering three or four square feet, that is a whole different story!

On the extreme, I will forever have an example. From when I was 16, when I chopped the top on my truck, we are talking the thickest filler I have ever seen. I had no idea what I was doing when I gas welded across the roof and warped it horribly bad. I didn't know how to fix it and simply bondoed over it. I put two gallons of Ditzler 999 (yes that was the part number) before I even sanded it!

I checked it years later with a large C clamp vice grip out to the middle of the thickest part, it was an inch and a half thick!

It did crack, long cracks up on the top, but no one was the wiser, just looking at the truck it looked pretty good.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote