View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Out with the old and in with the new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
How do you like those Kooks headers? Are they much better quality than say Hooker, Doug Thorley or Gibson? Love the truck too, I wish I could have black...I'd be polishing it everywhere I went though.
I have never had a set of Hooker headers, in my life. I have had many other brands that were a lot cheaper. I do have a set of Thorley headers and the design work on them appears to be in alignment with the Kooks set. I got my Kooks headers from Maryland Speed and it was during their header special sale that they do annually. I got the headers, piping and cats all together and the headers are Jet coated for a lasting finish. The jet coating was at no extra cost and they saved me some cash on the whole deal. They installed easily and the fit and finish was right easy to deal with. I think that if I wanted to do the same on my Pontiac G8 and maybe a later truck, I would still go with that brand.

When I install headers, I use teflon tape on the bolts that holds them to the heads and that solves any issues of having bolts coming loose. I set them, drive for a period and reset the bolts one last time and that is all that is needed. The teflon tape will let the bolts comeout without any problem either. The headers on my 2011 have been there since the middle of 2011 and I now have over 100,000 miles on it. I purchased the truck in January of 2011.

I have a couple black vehicles and I live in the middle of Kansas, in a small rural town. The trick is to get the paint smooth and clean and then use a product that really works in all kinds of weather. Everyone has their particular brand, but I found the Wizards products do quite well in Summer and Winter. Just check with Low E above, he and I have had several together.