Thread: 79 350 overhaul
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #16
vince1

Re: 79 350 overhaul

Heads are easy to remove should that happen. I think I have three more of the same stored next province over that someone gave me years ago.

I did remove the cam bearings and the three screw in plugs at the back end of the galleries. Maybe still do the push in plugs from the front? I've been at it pretty good with engine degreaser and water followed by carb cleaner and compressed air. WD 40 to stop it from rusting. I just bought a cylinder hone so could knock out the front plugs and do another clean after the honing.

With the block upside down does the front bearing go in with holes at 4 and 8 and the rest at 8 o'clock?

I used to time the old magnetos on motorcycles or distributors with a cigarette paper or light between the points. How does one set up the initial timing on the HEI's? And as for wire position, #1 at about 11 o'clock? I can't remember if the cap is labeled or not.

I've got my parts but can't get at it again for another week.

On the up side I am pretty sure that the TH400 behind it has had a rebuild. Hopefully I can do the exchange before the summer is over.

Last edited by vince1; 06-15-2019 at 10:42 AM.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote