View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #57
MannyDantyla

Re: "its all about ol' black"

Hi doubleclucker, I've enjoyed reading your thread and I have a few questions. I'm looking to swap my sm465 to nv4500 and I need all the help I can get lol.

Any problems with mounting the nv4500 the the sm465's bellhousing like you did? It's held up fine over these years? I have a mechanical clutch and I'd like to keep it and not go hydraulic. It's a bit rickity yet reliable, but mainly I'm cheap and I don't like what I've read about converting to hydro clutch. You said you used "the factory sm465 bellhousing (the 85'-up hydraulic one )", I'm just wondering if my older one would be different enough to cause problems.

Can you elaborate on the nv4500 "rare 95 version with square top shifter and 5.61 first"? Basically I'm just trying to figure out what year nv4500 I should find. I prefer the narrow gear ratios of the later models, but the '92-'95 has the 5.125" input bearing retainer that is the same as the sm465. the '96+ nv4500s have a 5.6" input bearing retainer OD, but I suppose the sm465's bell housing could be machined to make it fit.

I also have an np205 on my sm465 but it's the figure-8/bathtub adapter bolt pattern so I have some more problems to work it. Cheapest solution might be to get a np208 but then I'll have to change driveshaft configuration...

Thanks!
MannyDantyla is offline   Reply With Quote