View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

'41-'46 Headliner - Need Some Advice/Opinions

Let's put our heads together and figure this one out:

I was planning on buying a Chev's of the 40's fiberboard headliner. I understand it requires the use of a 50-50 mix of amonia & water to wet the backside of the board to make it conform to the roof curves and per their tech guy it "takes three guys" to install it. He said its a PITA and almost always crinkles in the corners so you end up having to cover it. The 2 pc type is a little more forgiving, but I don't have an outer center bow for my '41 cab, they are somewhat unique and repops are not made. The fiberboard headliners are fairly affordable: $30-$40 and I have a gift certificate BUT if you want to skip the hassle they have one piece headliners in ABS and fiberglas but you're talking up to $180 and expensive oversize shipping and...I am cheap (my GC is only $40).

I noticed on another board someone mentioned they made their own ABS headliner. They haven't answered my questions about it yet.

What do you guys think I could use to make my own one piece headliner? There is a center structural bow in my cab so I can screw into that to get the arch in the middle. I know there isn't plywood thin enough, I don't want the hassle of installation (or crinkled appearence) of a fiberboard product. Where would you go about buying a big sheet of thin ABS? Is this commonly used material in some line of business I'm not familiar with? Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-11-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote