View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: 350 build - where do I start?

Re. where to start.. If this is a learning experience for you, first buy a SBC rebuilding book. There are several in the market that basically start you from scratch.

After you get an idea of the process, just dive in. As an old mechanic once told me, "nobody is born learnt." In other words everyone has to start somewhere.

Don't buy parts yet. The next step is to dismantle the engine to see what you have. Take it out of the truck if it's still in there, remove the intake and exhaust manifolds and heads so you can see the condition of the cylinders. From there you'll have to follow the procedures to completely disassemble the block for machine work.

Also, keep in mind that if you intend to use parts again, be sure and label them so they can be installed in the same place again: pistons and rod bearing caps, crankshaft bearing caps and even the lifters and push rods. They should all be carefully labeled.

There's a lot more to it but this should give you an idea of the work involved. Cost? Depending on what you wind up having to buy (parts, tools, all bolts, etc.) It may be over $1K and even closer to $2K. Keep in mind that a GM crate motor will cost around the same.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote