View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: What tools came with my '50 3600 when new??

The trucks that you could use a hand crank on have the provision for the hand crank on the hub/balancer on the engine.

The listing for the 1950 trucks on GM Herritage center is rather vague as to what optional equipment was available. https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf

Ogre pretty well nailed it in that straight from the factory most AD trucks and even up into the mid 50's left the factory pretty bare of options. That is how the manufacture and the dealer kept the base price down although very few trucks ever left the lot with no added options on them. You went down to the dealer and picked the one that was the color with what transmission you wanted and then sat down with the salesman and worked out what additional items and accessories you wanted on it and the truck was sent to the service department to have those put on or in. Northern trucks were usually factory ordered with heaters but southern trucks might not be.

Tight fisted farmers like my grandfather didn't go for many options on their new trucks when they bought them then. I can remember my grandfather, maternal uncle and my dad building the bed and stock racks on my granfather's 48 1 ton when I was little and painting them to match the light green on the truck. It was a big deal that my uncle took the branding iron and burned the brand into stock racks. I'm not sure my grandfather was all that happy with it at the time but the brand was still on the stock racks up into the late 60's.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote