View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 02:20 AM   #1001
jocko

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland68 View Post
Just sent you a message, I thought I had this truck figured out but now I'm not so sure. The SPID matches the title, I guess my next step will be seeing if the VIN on the truck matches the VIN on the title. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I assumed it was a Cheyenne Super clone.
Well, I blew up the headliner pic, and I don't believe it's original material. Might want to inspect it closely, material, install integrity, etc - if it's not, then that kinda solves this, it is a very elaborate, and old, clone. Someone went to a LOT of trouble, apparently before there were correct aftermarket headliners, to make a Custom Deluxe a Cheyenne Super. Is there a stainless slip cover on the tailgate handle? That won't prove anything one way or the other, but it's Super-only and often overlooked. Its presence would only add to the extent the po went to to clone it correctly. And as old as this re-do looks, I can't imagine someone going to that much trouble back then to clone it. Hmm. It appears to even pre-date Barrett Jackson!

It's also possible an old SPID was pasted into the Super's glovebox door at some point or the gb door was lost/stolen/replaced. If the VIN check confirms that the SPID goes with the truck, then it's elementary at that point. The important one is the metal tag VIN with rosette rivets. Matching VIN=clone / mismatched VIN=gb door swap or something like that. But my money is on elaborate clone - too much other stuff about the truck matches this SPID, even original color, lack of a/c, slider window, etc.

So, you may have it advertised correctly on ebay (I only looked at pics initially) - and good on you for not trying to pass it off as a Super, that's probably what most would attempt - or most would actually assume that's what they've got. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by jocko; 04-26-2017 at 02:29 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote