View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #121
R_W

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
We’ve been so busy with landscaping the last two months I haven’t had much time to check out other builds. Not sure if you’ve already figured out the engine details yet, but one easy way to tell if it’s a 350 or something earlier (327 or 283) is to simply check the rear of the block behind the distributor. If it’s a 327 or earlier, it will have a hole in the block for mounting a road draft tube. It’s located as shown in this photo:

Older original 283 & 327 engines would have a road draft tube following the path of the dotted line. The tube itself would look something like this:

In the many years since production, the road draft tube may have been eliminated and replaced with a smog valve. Original PCV adapters looked like this, and fastened to the engine using the original draft tube attachment bolt:

Since these adapters are now nearly extinct, you might find just a rubber grommet as shown in the first photo above. When the 350 was released it had no such hole in the block as the PCV system was designed in. Only the engine numbers will identify exactly which engine you have, but this will tell you if it’s a 350 vintage or an earlier motor.

Also this thread may help with the headlights. If you don’t want to upgrade to relays (which I highly recommend), just ignore the relays in the diagram and the inner headlights. Everything else should be what your headlight circuit should look like:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=387693

And happy anniversary! I hope Nicola likes her new car as much as the little one she gave up.
My Camaro with a 327 was supposed to have that part. It did have the hole. Maybe that is why it leaked a LOT of oil
Posted via Mobile Device

"Daddy, that truck's not red"
Build Thread: TN 20 Build
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote