View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #49
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Things to do when you are broke or waiting of parts arriving (or broke because you're waiting of parts arriving) part 2

The other piece to get this treatment was the steering wheel, unfortunately dropping my iPhone in the kitchen sink means I lost the pictures I took during the 3 weeks it took to restore it. The steering wheel had a few cracks and the paint was peeling but I was determined to save it. It's the thing that connects me to every owner and driver of my truck for the past 50 years.

The cracks were ground out and repaired with a 2 pack epoxy resin. Being made of an old plastic material I didn't want to chance paint stripper so the paint was (carefully) scraped off using the edge of a craft knife blade. It was then etch primed and painted in a 2-tone black and body colour finish. I then laid the pin-stripe design over the top. This was done free hand and didn't end up symmetrical (as I had intended) but sometimes it's better to pull a good stripe even if it is in the wrong place!

Name:  Steering wheel 1.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  Steering wheel 2.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  Steering wheel 3.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  Steering wheel 4.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  45.1 KB