Thread: NJ Suburban
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
pwdcougar

Re: NJ Suburban

I was planning on driving the 68 for fun but it is turning into a money pit and it just won't run right. The rebuilt carb is still not running right. Unless the choke is on, it won't rev up at all. With the choke open it just gasps and stalls out. Running like this points to a lean condition or a vacuum leak. I hosed down the intake and carb with carb cleaner and starting fluid and there is no change at all in how it runs. Even at 650 rpm the vacuum is high and stable.

It is kind of a beast to drive too. The lack of power brakes isn't too bad but non power steering? Holy crap what a pain. It doesn't help that it has very large tires on it and that it is a 4 speed. I can't imagine driving this in city traffic.

I think I'll drive it to a friend's house and store it for the winter and start back into this in the spring. I'll stick with my original plan to start stripping the 70 4WD truck down and get it ready to put the 68 body on.
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote