View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Hey Gary, no problem. I did the same thing a while back they mailed me an envelope with fabric samples and prices. There are a few threads on the forum where people have recreated the original cover using SMS materials. Certainly not the cheapest endeavor. My biggest concern is that every one of these original cloth/vinyl seats that I have seen has had the same type of splitting wear in the cloth sections (mostly the driver's side). It makes me feel like that material is too delicate for normal use. I do dig how original it looks though. I'd actually like to find a place that repops the original base model vinyl seat but no one does.
Chris, SMS is sending me a couple of cloth patterns to see what matches up with what I have. Yesterday I found out there is a local upholstery shop here that does fantastic work. A friend of mine is restoring a 1964 Bonneville and he had this local guy reupholster his seats. Very nice work! So I'm going to check with him too to see if he has availability to the cloth as well. If not, I might just order some from SMS and then have the local guy redo the seat. Thanks again for the lead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Nice to see the progress, looks like you're getting a lot accomplished. Best of luck with the house sale and the rest of the truck!
Thanks lefty! The house has been a monkey on my back for well over a year. Wrecking the truck when I did was the worst possible timing. But things are rolling along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Welcome back! so the cab and bed are still on the bent frame correct? Still have that nice roller stored away. I'm glad for you that your wife and best friend talked you into not selling. Now get at it!
Thanks Rat! Yeah... the cab and bed are still on the bent frame. Hoping to get the frames switched out soon. Today I have a buddy coming over to help with getting the seat, gas tank, steering wheel and brake booster/MC off of the cab. Then this weekend I'll strip the doors off. Pulling the engine and transmission next week. Then after that I will make preparation with a few buddies to help move the cab and bed to the new frame.

I am glad they kept me thinking straight too. I was totally dejected and wanted to wash my hands of the whole deal. Boy am I glad I still have this truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Welcome back, sometimes a break is a good.......
Thanks Lee... I got a lot accomplished in the time the truck was "forgotten". But now it's moving from the back burner to one of the side burners. After we move... it will be on the front burner.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.