View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #22
SS Tim

Re: Questions about how true to the spid a truck is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblue View Post
I know the title sounds confusing.. So here is my confusion. I have a 72 swb and so does a friend.. Both are seemingly original.. My friends is a medium red.. And mine is the orche/white.. I will post pics of both spids.. The red spid says Cheyenne super equipment but no super badge or wood grain on dash. It also has a tach but is not mentioned on the spid.. It is a 402/400 truck that was bought local here where I'm from so the history of its originality is known.. Was it common to leave those options off and still be a super.? My truck (orche) has a tach and tilt and super badges but are not listed on the spid.. Also, the spid on orche truck has 6 digit option codes and the red has 3 digit codes.. I'm just curious about these trucks and what they really are
From the provided pictures both trucks were originally built as Z84 Cheyennes.

The Red truck, having been assembled in Oshawa, displays the typical format for that plant and the misleading description for Z84 Cheyenne. Being a Cheyenne it is correct without the Super's added woodgrain. Other than the incorrect seat cover (no factory black houndstooth) the interior looks stock. The tach was a stand alone option and would be listed on the SPID if original. As a cross check the black bench interior was not offered in Supers.

The Ochre, assembled in St.Louis, is also clearly a Z84 Cheyenne with additions including at some point the "Super" emblems.

Both the tilt and tach were added as well. These would have been listed on the SPID as stand alone options. Plus since the U16 tachometer option included the Z53 gauges they would not be listed on the SPID of a factory tachometer truck. Also a YE9 Super included the Z53 gauges as part of the trim package and as such they would not generally be listed on a US built YE9 Super.

The bench saddle vinyl trim was not offered on YE9 Supers. Plus the factory did not offer saddle houndstooth Super trim.

The belt molding was included YE9 Supers and optional (SPID listed) at all other trim levels. In this case they were required for the Deluxe Two-Tone paint option.

The RPO number suffix/exception codes were, as Kieth touched on, simply there to more completely indentify an RPO. In 72 they rolled over to numbers from the previous letters and for the most part not really used for most options, simply ending in 10 in most cases. Need to remember the SPIDs were there for service techs and parts reference.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote