View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #11
PGSigns

Re: better ride quality

I spent a lot of time working out the ride on my 66. Basic setup is 2" springs in the front with 2 1/2" spindles and 4" springs in the rear with a 1 1/4" block with 2 1/2 degrees of wedge in it. First set of shocks were the generic drop stuff that are jeep shocks, they were terrible. Then a set of drop shocks from POL i think, they were ok for about 10,000 miles and then toast. The last set is the belltech street performance and they are very good. On the rear I have the stops for traction bars and that works good in the back. In the front the stock stops have had about 3/4" trimmed. This mod stopped most of the hard hits from bad roads. I have a long bed and moving the gas tank to the rear is a help with the ride. On tire one thing you can do is go on places like tire rack and look at the ride quality rating on tires you have or are thinking about. Tires of the same size can have way different side wall construction and ride qualities. The more performance oriented a tire is the stiffer the side wall tends to be. One thing else I did was have the stock seat redone. This time with foam and not the cotton. That made a difference you could feel. What it comes down to is looking at it all from the ground to your back side and doing what you can for every part of the total ride system.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote