View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Psycho71

OK, Time to start planning my lift. ?'s (Long post)

'85 Burb - 3/4ton 4x4 w/350/400/208. D44 front and 14bolt rear diff's. Warn hubs in front. Lockers are not known at this time as I have been focused on getting power to the diff's, and will be digging into them as I work my way towards them. but the build sheet says 3.73;1 gears front and rear.

I'm getting ready to drop the newly rebuilt drivetrain in within the next week. It's all done, sittin in the shop just waiting til I get the time to deal with it. So next on the agenda will be the suspension/lift.

I have some 16.5x9.75" wheels and some Military 36x12.5x16.5 tires I'll start out running. Kinda of a budget constraint right now, but will be upgrading the tires in the future if I don't like these bias ply's. Not ever looking to run a tire larger than 36", and more likely will settle in around 35" with my final tire selection. With a very possible gear ratio change coming sooner or later, depending on initial drive ability.

And the more I read, the more I realize I am liable to be upgrading to a D60 front diff, and an NP205 at some point, but not sure if this has a bearing on my inquiry at this time.

Anyhow, I have been on the fence between a straight up 6" lift or a 4"lift and doing some fender trimming. Given the burb will need a paint job anyway, I am pretty set on doing the 4" lift and trimming the fenders before the paint work is done. Thinking on keeping the COG lower and overall profile lower this way. And by looking at a LOT of pics, fender trimming can be done where it doesn't look like a complete hack job.

So now is where I get to show my ignorance on the whole 4x4 thing. I know I can just get a lift kit and slap it on there, and get the lift I want/need. But I'm reading about add a leaf kits, shackle flips, etc... I thought I wanted a kit with front and rear springs, no lift blocks in the rear. This would leave me the option of adding a 1-2" block in the rear if I need something to level the truck back out once I get it all set-up and loaded to it's normal capacity (bumpers, swing away spare rack, roof rack, interior drawer storage system, etc...). I do not want to rear of the burb sagging like grandma's old baggy drawers. No offense to anyone's grandma intended!

So, can anyone explain if I should be considering a shackle flip as a portion, or the main source, of the rear lift? The benefits or draw backs of doing this? Operationally, or Financially? I have researched this online, and can't come up with a firm yeah or nay answer.

Same question(s) about the add-a-leaf (front and/or rear)?

The leafs on the front are flat right now, not sure if they are meant to be that way stock or not. The rears are almost surely sagging a bit.

This thing will NOT be a daily driver, but will see regular road use as my fishing and hunting vehicle. As well as being a trail and moderate off-road recreational vehicle. I want it to be capable of towing just about anythng I want to hook up to it, but mainly it will be towing my little bass boat or a 16' utility trailer with my 8n tractor and mower on it. Pretty much all my regular towing needs can be met using any decently powered 1/2ton pick-up.

Thanks for any advice y'all can offer up. And you cannot be too descriptive in your answers. I am learning this 4wd stuff as I go, so be gentle .

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote