View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #56
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Spent most of last week searching and fiddling with trying to get my fuel pump situation resolved.

The old Holley pump I have had a port for a return which I wanted to keep. I didn't realize until ordering another pump that none of the aftermarket pumps come with this anymore. I called Holley and they basically told me they dont know anything about it. And they can only recommend using a regulator with return setup. I really dont want to add all that additional hardware if I dont have too.

So I went in search of an OEM carter pump that had the 3 ports I was after. Ordered one from Summit and waited on it. When I checked the fitment on it, I realized the trans cooler lines below the pump would be in the way because of the increased height of the Carter pump. FAIL.

So I came up with this solution yesterday. Its a filter with return off a jeep. It should technically work better as their will be less hot fuel near the carb. I fought with getting the filter in place and getting a return line fabbed and hooked up. Of course all the fittings for the new summit pump were different than my Holley pump so I had to go in search of fittings.

In the end Im pretty happy and this should keep from me from having any vapor lock issues. I hope!

I was able to finish up modifying the rear bumper brackets to get the rear bumper closer to the truck bed. If I was to do it over again I would have just drilled new holes in the frame. Not sure why I decided to redrill the brackets.

Overall Im happy with it. Id like to find something to cover up the bumper brackets. Is there such a thing?

Obviously the bumper and bolts still need painted.

I did get the front bumper mounted without any issues. I dont think it will need modified.

Im still fighting some leaks. The leak from the pump is fixed which Im thankful for.

My brake caliper on the drivers front keeps leaking at the banjo bolt. I gave it another snug in hopes of it sealing. Worst case Ill order some more seals.

Im getting very small amounts of coolant from my overflow drain hose. My overflow is not fuel so Im not sure how the coolant is getting into the drain and out the hose. It only does this after I get the truck up to temperature. Stupid.