View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #67
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Few updates.

Ive finally been able to start assembly on the front end pieces. I was lucky enough to have purchased an NOS grille back when we started this project and it was still nice and new in the box from the dealer.

I found some hardware at lowes to mount it to the radiator support. Fit was perfect.

I had planned to use the cheap repop headlight bezels and paint them to match the black scheme I am going with on this truck. Unfortunately they fit like crap. The driver side fit decent but the passenger side wouldn't center correctly around the headlamp. And the headlamp doesn't seem to have any adjustment as far as up and down.

So I went out to eBay and found a "fair" pair of original bezels to work with. Fitment is quite a bit better than the repops. Not perfect but good enough. So I set about cleaning them up and applying a small amount of filler to fill some of the corrosion holes.

In the meantime I used the plastic throw away bezels to test my paint scheme. I left the insides the silver color and painted the outside satin black. Im happy with that so Im gonna duplicate it on the reworked factory ones. I found some dark gray metallic paint to spray the inners with along with some satin clear to match the finish of the satin black.

Last weekend I set about trying to get some exterior pieces painted for the truck. Im not finished but I got about half of what needed painted.

I sprayed both the bumpers front and rear and all the brackets and mounting hardware. Along with the license plate holder, hood hinges and inner fender liners. It was terribly hot so I had to keep it wet and heavy. Turned out pretty good for a garage spray.

I still have the exterior sport mirrors, drip rails and some hardware left to paint. I ordered a set of black exterior handles and locks from eBay instead of trying to resurrect my original ones.

I ready get the fender liners and fenders mounted for final time...hopefully.

I found a supposedly very nice 73-78 hood a couple hours from me, Im going to pick it up today. Ill make sure it fits then get it to the paint booth.

Still waiting on my wheels from Stockton Wheel. They are done but the powdercoat place is supposedly dragging their feet. Its been over 2 weeks. Im just gonna have to have them shipped here and done here. Im tired of waiting.

Hopefully more fun updates soon.