Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #245
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
I did a similar exhaust mod on my 66 GMC. I was paranoid about the crossmembers, so I found a steel shop and had them cut me some pipe I could weld in to reinforce where I had made holes for the exhaust.
Yeah me too, and I was going to do the same thing but after talking to my cousin he was telling me to just box in the crossmember and it will add more strength that the pipe. And it may end up being easier too. Now if this were gonna be a show truck I would do both, box it in and add a 4" pipe through the middle, that would be nice looking. Stay tuned, I've already started boxing it in so I should have pics up soon when I finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
It's like Christmas every month building these trucks! What stall did you get?
After talking to them I ended up getting the 278mm HP with 2600-2800 stall. LM7 is stock right now but stage 2 of my build will bring a new cam and few other upgrades shooting for 450-500 at the rear wheel would be nice. But still keeping it a daily driver. That's the plan for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatrd View Post
Just an FYI. If you run into situation where you need to build up body filler thicker than 1/8", you should consider using fiberglass reinforced filler or "alumafill" metal impregnated filler. The other benefit is both fiberglass filler and metal filler are much more moisture resistant that standard filler which just absorbs moisture like a sponge. Which is why a lot of repairs over metal with pin holes or not fully welded seams will rust out under the filler, and eventually filler will blister and pop off.

From what I could see in the pics, it looked like the molded plastic center vent may not have been flat or did not have correct contour. Unfortunately, our demand for cheap parts means poor quality Chinese crap is usually to blame.
Yeah I was disappointed with the VA center vent not matching the contour of the dash. I kept hearing now nice these kits are and I never heard of anyone having this issue. I'm assuming at this point they just didn't do anything about it, left the gap hoping nobody will see it.

Thanks for the advice though, I used premium body filler from eastwood, I hope it doesn't have problems..... Live and learn man.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote