View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #10
JointTech

Re: N00b with a 72 c20

yea my plan is just to level it by lifting the front a couple inches and put 33s on 20s or 22s I like the thin rubber look.

and for the build part of the thread:
I put the diff gasket and cover on. Took 2 bottles of 80/90 and a bottle of Lucas. Damn 14 bolt is thirsty.

Pulled the tranny pan. I'd like to get my hands on the asshat at gm who thought "nah, drain plug, we dont need no sticking drain plug"... Got most of it in the pan. The rest on me.
Changed the tranny filter and put the pan and new gasket back on.

Pulled out the drive shaft. Only one bolt on the carrier bearing gave me trouble. Hit it with a little more pb blaster and then remembered I had a torch so heated it up for 30 seconds or so. My weakass air impact wrench finally broke it loose with a ratchet attached to the nut on top. Almost lost a finger before wedging it with a screwdriver instead...
Also remember thats a nut and bolt.. I thought I was bad ass and then realized it was just spinning the nut...

So got the shafts out. My girly vice isnt wide enough (thats what she said) and i dont have a c clamp, so ill take it to the parts shop tomorrow where they have a 50 ton press and have them pop out the u joints.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote