View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #23
JointTech

Re: N00b with a 72 c20

So Disclaimer. The interwebs says never dye, use detergents or solvents on your seat belts. They say dont boil your seat belts. They also say that your belts should be replaced every 2 years... So I figure with 40 year old seat belts wth. cant get any worse.
Im not shelling out hundreds for rewebbing right now and it barely gets driven, and my bigass truck is going to slice through whatever riceburner crosses me, and i cant rationalize all day...

Point is... I went with RIT dye in the washing machine after soaking them in bleach to kill the mildew smell.

fortunately I have a great wife. Shell only mildly scold me for this one.

I used the liquid RIT first with a cup of salt. i let it go throughthe normal wash cycle but when I took them out there were still some light spots. The belts were also all wrapped and tangled... So maybe the dye didnt work in where the knots were.

This time I just put my witches broom stick in the cauldren and stirred the water. Im going to let them sit for an hour and then rinse.

I painted my buckles and retracter covers. Came out pretty good. Used plastic paint on the buckles and some hammered finish silver for the buttons. The GM stickers where all rotten so I yanked them off.

Also got a new toy today. I need to get a wire wheel for it.

New welder will be here pretty soon the helmet, blanket and other tools have already shipped according to amazon. whoo hoo. Time to cut out the rust.

Need to order some repair panels but having trouble knowing what to get without seeing whats in there after cutting. so may not be a one day thing..

My buddy and I got this ancient air comressor working that he got from some guy for $100. 25 gallon tank with 125psi cutout. It wouldnt fill at all so we pulled the head and put on some gasket good. Beat the crap out of it with a hammer and drained the oil.
Lot of gross white oil came out. refilled it and it built pressure to 125. slowly though. probably have a valve bad or something but it works for now and is so much quieter than the little one. ill get some picks of it up.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote