Thread: HEI issues?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #27
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: HEI issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachste View Post
Just for clarification's sake, we are talking about the ICM correct? Like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850100/overview/

That's the one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
If you don't understand any of that above, you should stop expounding the crap about having to have a FULL 12VOLTS for the HEI.
If you're going racing that's a different story. You should know that there are circletrack racers out there that run a racing HEI without an alternator. Starting a race with 12.5 battery voltage, they still have plenty of high rpm ignition, 40 laps later when the Bat may have dropped below 10 volts.

For the street, I can tell you I installed a coil-in-cap HEI in my truck more that 25 years ago. 10 years ago when I installed the AC, I switched it to an external coil HEI. The original Resistor Wire is still in place. I read 11 Volts at the distributor. The truck gets 15-16 mpg on the highway and it can run 70-75 mph for a couple hours at a time and never skip a beat.
Holy carp... Lighten up Francis!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote