View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #25
vintovka

Re: Which Door mirrors did you choose for your AD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
"Seems like original Passenger side mirror arms are not easy to find. Repops are cheap and some are being offered with the 5x7 square mirrors. Do you think a repop would WORK on a standard 54 without having to be bent?"

With the caveat that I only have experience with the stainless coated potmetal arms I purchased from Chevys of the 40's, and most vendors list the arms as being the same for all series 1 truck, 1947 thru 1954 (some show thru 55?). So, that said mine didn't work and broke when I tried to bend it as required. The original steel arm was easy to heat and reshape.

The required reshape is to heat the last bend, straighten the arm and then heat and move the bend intoward the mounting point, this makes the section the mirror attaches to longer, allowing you to adjust it as needed without it contacting the mount arm. Guess the simple thing to say is the bend closest to the mirror has to be changed.
I have heard the pot metal ones break if struck or used a handle by big guys trying to get past truck in small garage. Still pursuing an Original.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote