View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #24
americanmusc1e

Re: 700r4 lockup wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Haha it is an old thread but I'm glad ya'll dug this old thread up anyway because I just had my 700r installed by the tranny shop and I got questions. The shop didn't wire anything nothing is plugged in accept the speedo cable and the tv cable. And it runs okay.

Am I causing damage by not having it wired?

Why would I want it to lock up?

I've had it up on the highway and it seems to stay in 4th so why would I want it to not lock up (ie switched)?

You mentioned it locks up in 3rd or 4th, is that determined by the shop that rebuilt it?

What is the purpose of the brake or vacuum switch and is that the 3rd connection on that plug?

some say that you are not supposed to drive in 4th without a converter lockup (something to do with the tranny overheat problems since the 700r4 was designed to be locked up in 4th gear)

when you lock it up you will get better mileage because the engine and transmission are "locked" together. if its not locked up the converter will slip and you will waste some mileage, usually when the converter locks up in 4th you will drop 400-500rpm

all 700r4's should lock up in 3rd and 4th (I think, somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

the third connection on the plug powered a transmission overheat warning light (or gauge) when used in the factory application.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote