View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
nicke

Re: My other passion...65' Impala SS

Here was a little project that I did on the car not too long ago.
I was getting tired of the warpped cardboard, stock piece so I made my own.
First, I bought a 8′x4′ sheet of 1/4″ particle type of board. I bought it at Home Depot, but this type of material can be found at almost any lumber or building supply store. I got 1/4″ because I wanted it to be light but easy to work with. I then took my old piece out and used it as a template to cut the shape out of the wood. I used a jig saw to make the cuts, being careful not to cut too small.
Once I did this, I put the piece in place to see how it would fit. Perfect!
I then crawled in the trunk with a pencil and marked where the speaker holes were. Previously, I had opened the factory holes to allow my 6×9s to fit. Since I was going to be getting a new parcel shelf, I treated myself to a set of brand new Infinity Kappa 6×9s as well. With this all done, it was time to do the carpeting. Since I have a black interior, I used black carpeting. I elected to use the thin, speaker-grade carpeting, as it molds better and is easier to work with. Also, the stock floor carpeting (80/20 loop) would definitely look out of place. I covered the entire panel and folded the carpeting around the edges, overlapping the back about 4″ all the way around. I then stapled and used spray adhesive to keep it in place. Around the edges, I would cut slits so that the carpet would lay flat. For the speaker holes, I poked a hole in the center and made cuts in every direction to meet the wood. I then folded these flaps back and stapled and glued them as well.
With this piece done, I was almost ready to go. I first put in a thick piece of juke padding down to help insulate and help with sound.
The piece fit perfectly and looks great I think!

nicke is offline   Reply With Quote