View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Smile NV4500 swap is underway

Well, winter is here so that means it is time to hunker down in the garage and fix all the of things that are driving me nuts in preparation for next year’s adventures.

I’ve been collecting parts for a while now so here is the list of upgrades planned over the next few months; NV4500, fresh Centerforce clutch, 1989 R/V instrument cluster, Hydroboost brakes, ZF high volume power steering pump from a medium duty truck with a huge remote reservoir (for future hydraulic winch that will replace the Sidewinder), P/S cooler, floorboard rust repair, Rhino lined interior floor, rubber floor mat (no more carpet!) and a new stereo to replace the 15 year old Jensen junk. Might even have the seats redone depending on how badly the budget gets blown.

It seems like only yesterday I was yanking a TH350 out to install this SM365 but the time has come where overdrive is badly needed on these long distance off-road trips we have been taking around Utah and Arizona the last few years. Hard to believe 12 years have passed since I swapped in the SM465 outside on a frosty January weekend in Detroit under a rental house carport. Man, I don’t miss those days of not having a garage…or miss living in Detroit!

Interior before tear down.

465/205 is out! Boy it interior looks terrible now!

Got to love modern engines with one piece rear main seals and aluminum oil pans. No oil leaks!

The rusty floorboards thanks to a leaky windshield that was replaced 15 years ago. I actually found this rust back in 1998 when I installed the SM465 but there wasn’t much I could do about it at the time as I didn’t have a welder when I lived in Michigan. Fortunately, the rust hasn’t gotten any worse in 12 years either.

In a perfect world, I really wanted to use a 1985 or newer 32 spline 205 with a round adapter to get away from the 205’s 10 spline shaft for obvious reasons but they are extremely hard to come by. Then, I had planned on replacing the input shaft in the existing 205 to 32 spline but I ran across a complete 27 spline 205 on Craigslist from a 1972 Blazer for a bargain. A few weeks ago I went through the 27 spline 205 and treated it to fresh bearings, seals and paint. I had just done the same to the 10 spline 205 about 2 years ago, which is why the both are wearing the same color of paint. Being I am going the route of the 27 spline now, a 27-0031 Advance Adapters NV4500 kit has been ordered up.

27 spline foreground. 10 spline background.

Also picked up a different turtle shell from an automatic truck being the shifter hole will be moving to a new spot on the NV4500. Easier to cut a hole in a fresh shell than patch up and the rework the old.

More to come in the coming week and months.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote