View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #18
Short 3/4

Re: 66 c20 disc swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbum View Post
Yeah, I think you might be right about that. I have looked as extensively as I know how to look into both 73+ and 71-2 3/4 ton cylinders, and found no manual units at all. There are rumors of a 73+ 3/4 cylinder but the only ones I've found that were rated for the heavier trucks are for the earlier drum/drum systems. I wonder if it might be possible to remove the residual valve from one of the ports and run discs with the earlier cylinder.
Did the same thing years ago. Sorry no part number, but do know I found a manual Disc/drum MC that worked very well for many decades. As I recall only modification was possibly to the push rod length. I also used an adjustable proportioning valve. As I recall I left my arms and just changed stuff from ball joints out ( was on a 66 ).
I was lucky to have a parts store that knew how to read a parts book. My advice is to find such a store and give them ALL your business, so they can stay around. Online and chain stores are cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Sorry to go off on a rant there, but bottom line it can be done. I also prefer manual brakes. Good luck on your project, Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote