View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
ed455
Captain Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyold72
Without a card, WTF, I'd say that wasn't possible, does anyone else have a card for this account? Has their card come up missing, and they haven't realized it
Have you had a break in house or vehicle (most banks send 2 copys of the ATM card)
BTW it's a real good idea to shred your bank statements, bills, and any credit card offers before throwing them away, prevents dumpster diving
An ATM car is just a piece of plastic with a strip of magnetic take attached to it. It's not a sophisticated item. Put the correct information on the magnetic tape and voila, you have an ATM card. They are EASILY counterfeited. A crooked bank employee could give a person the information they need to counterfeit cards. I suspect that a paypal account could be hacked and the information could be acquired for a fake debit card.

I only deal in U.S. Postal money orders and Bank cashiers checks when it comes to my ebay dealings. I never allow bank drafting on my account EVER! I deal in cash or credit card only and pay my credit cards with cashiers checks or money orders. Also I deliberately keep a low credit limit on my credit cards just in case one does get compromised, the thief is limited in the damage he or she could do. I have a pretty good net worth but I keep my financial dealing in stealth mode. Makes me less of a target to cyber-thieves.

It's not paranoia if there really are people out to get you.

Last edited by ed455; 01-27-2005 at 07:20 PM.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote