Thread: Green Beater
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #49
Jeramy

Re: Green Beater

Hurray!!! I now have rear brakes.

I attempted to repair my rear brakes on the 19th but could not get fluid to them. I made sure to recenter the proportioning valve by pulling the light switch out and using a dart tip move valve to "neutral". I began disconnecting lines looking for my stoppage as I moved up stream but ran into a snag when the main steel line would not disconnect from the rubber line at rear axle. The nut had already been rounded by some one and pliers just would not get her done so i buttoned it up and made plans to repair latter. I have not had rear brakes for last year, so what is one more day right?

Well today I cut the end off the steel line and replaced the nut and rubber line.

Still no fluid to be found.

So I moved up front to the proportioning valve and pulled line there.

Nope nothing.

OK, next I pulled the line coming into the valve from the master cylinder off.

Nope nothing.

This made no sense as on the 19th i had bleed at the master cylinder just to make sure it would pressurize.

I put my vacuum bleeder on end of line down at proportioning valve and got nothing.

Finally, being fed up, I pulled the line loose at both ends.

What I found was a short sheet metal screw inserted in the brake line for the rear AT THE MASTER CYLINDER.

Once removed and all lines reattached it took only about 5 minutes to bleed out the rear brakes.

The truck now feels like will stop on a dime.

What I find amazing, besides me taking a year to fix this, was that some one would block off the rear brakes completely instead of spending 15 bucks on some rear shoes. I found receipts in the truck showing all new front brakes being done shortly before I traded for it. Also, I changed my cam for better vacuum because the brakes sucked and on way home today I began wondering if i had found this and improved the brakes would I still have changed cams?