View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #393
billetproofcustoms

Re: The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Factory Correct Restoration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
A picture is what I need of the build sheet. Too many things on a build sheet to ask for.

Yes your engine is a 283 PG A.I.R. engine . Couple things , I looked over the one or two pictures I could find of your truck. Its a very nice looking truck ! I'm not putting it down when I say this next, but at some point in its life it was completely repainted , possibly engine compartment also, and obviously the engine.

I was looking for another clue but that did not happen. There were green 283s, but, they were installed in the larger c40-c60 trucks. They were much different than C10 engines. They, GM , actually raised up the water pump on some like the 1961 C60 283 I have, with special made bolt on adapters to get the fan in line to the radiator , also different things about brackets , pulleys and intake manifolds. All of those differences are WHY they were painted a different color though.

My GM parts book specifically says your engine is from a C10 only. Therefor I'm in complete agreement with OEM and Sodly , that your engine paint shown is not factory , it changed over time with chemicals to come up with a green appearance .

Also the correct name for the engine paint is really not Alpine green , its just Green. Alpine Green is a close match but a lighter color than Chevrolet engine green.

After what I've looked at of your truck , it seems very original as far as the parts it came with from the factory , that's a huge plus ! It would be a shame to paint the engine green , ( like painting a GMC V6 GREEN ! ) . Paint it Gray if you want it correct , there's no doubt in my mind that's how it left the factory.

As for the AIR engine, theres a clue on the build sheet or spid that may tell you if your truck was a California sold in state truck or a California export truck , its called " Engine Conversion " in which they plugged the exhaust manifolds for the AIR tubes and changed brackets and pulleys.

Nice truck !!
thanks, it has been in my family since new, my grandfather bought it new in 66 at a local dealership as stated on the build sheets, so it was for sure not a California truck.

Yes, it is quite original except for the air cleaner, and the hubcaps, some fasteners, crappy spliced up wiring harness, and bed wood is not original and is rotting out, other than that, its completely original, that's why I want to restore it instead of hot rodding it.
and yes, I was already aware that it was completely repainted, and not very well either, engine compartment was rattle can sprayed all black which is not correct. it was originally body color, and yes the engine probably was sprayed as well, I found out all that was done in 1991, and unfortunately, it was done poorly if you look closely. No offense taken, I already knew all that.

So, you think grey, not the chevy blue? would be correct?

I have a few pics posted through several of my posts, I also started a blog to follow the build, lots of pics there. http://billetproofcustoms.blogspot.com
billetproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote