View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
mr48chev

Re: Need help! 58 vs 51??

Well if you really want an AD truck rather than your TF I'd make the trade as he has some serious money tied up in that truck. I'm surprised that he isn't wanting you to throw in at least a couple thousand on top of the 58 in the trade.

Real solid truck with the chassis looking to be pretty well done with probably 1000.00 worth of visible add on items on the outside of the engine. Finished out right from where it is right now that can be one of the nicest six cylinder AD trucks around and it looks like it deserves to be finished right rather than "just got running so it can be driven". The only fly in the ointment is that the red frame limits the final paint color choices unless you take it back apart and repaint the frame. You pretty well have to like red, black or white to finish the rest of the truck.
The only thing I can see that I don't like is the rubber fuel line all the way back to the tank. I would change that. Other than that the truck looks ready to take to the paint shop for final body prep and paint and then assembly which for most of us would be the fun part of the project.

On your 58 I'd say highly desirable to the TF guys with the short box and big back window as that is what most want when looking for one. The "rare" thing may be that if you see 50 58 Chevy pickups at a Chevy truck event only 20 of them will be big window short boxes. They were a more deluxe truck when sold new and cost a few dollars more and a lot of the people who bought trucks in those days didn't want to spend the money and a lot of guys in hot southern areas may have passed on them as they would let more sunshine hit the back of your neck running down the road.

If all you want is to have a nifty truck that runs an drives keep your truck if you truly want a really nice AD truck that you can show some and still drive and are willing to do the work and spend the money to do it right trade for the AD but expect to spend at least 10K and maybe more to get it to where it deserves to be.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote