View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
JRBECK64

Took the 64 Shortwide on the Highway

This was the first time I took the truck on the highway since it was restored. I ran it up to 55 which was comfortable and then I pushed it up to 65 and it was still smooth but you could tell the engine was reving a little more than you would want it to at that speed. I ran it for about 20 miles at about 60 and it seemed like thats the comfortable speed for this truck on the highway. I ordered a butt load of parts from Wes in Olympia Wa. For the 67 Shortwide I am restoring and I think I am going to take it for a cruise up I-5 to pick them up when they all arrive. Looks like that maybe 6 weeks before that happens but with my Sons 69 Long Fleet in the middle of bodywork who's in a big hurry? Im thinking about looking into possibly putting a 700R4 in this thing to make it a bit more Drivable on the freeway. It has 3.73/1 gears in the back and with the size tires it has on it with a .76 OD it would put the rpms at about 2300 at 65 MPH and I figure it is reving a little over 3K the way its set up now with the TH400. I think I could do the 700R for cheaper than changing out the gear set. What do you think? Any Opinions?

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote