View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #39
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: 62 Fan Shroud ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
That's the "standard" shroud, for regular radiator and manual-trans vehicles.
There are actually three different shrouds available for '60-'62 trucks.
Manual-trans 1/2-ton, early version, is shown upper left.
I've found one of those in a junkyard on an untouched '60 or '61... it was rotted away, so I left it, but it's the same one shown.
What I think is a later 1/2-ton shroud ('62, maybe '61) is the one on the upper right. The barrel at the radiator is wider than the mouth at the fan, so it covers more area on the radiator.
If you have an original automatic trans truck, you also got a bigger radiator, and it had the trans cooler built into it.
The automatic shroud is a full shroud that covers the whole radiator, has a notch at the bottom corner for the trans cooler lines, and attaches to tabs brazed onto the mounting flange of the radiator. Shown on bottom.
The other two don't cover the whole face of the radiator, and they mount using the six bolts that hold the radiator to the core support.
The auto-trans radiator and the 3/4-ton and up radiator are wider and a little taller, but are a direct bolt-in to a 1/2-ton '60-'62 truck. The core support, at least on my '61 Suburban, has the blind nuts in place for both radiators. They made-up the difference in the width of the core by making the mounting flanges narrower, thus keeping the mounting bolts in the same location, but put one farther down the core support.
Over a couple years, I scored all three of these shrouds... I put a 3/4-ton 4-row radiator in my '61 Suburban, and kept the full auto-trans shroud for it.
I got a repro heavy-duty 7-blade clutch fan from YearOne--the application was big-block Mopar with A/C. The Chevy and Mopar fans interchange... I got the largest diameter one, which filled the opening in the shroud the best. It was a toss-up between BBC with A/C and BBM with A/C... the Mopar was a little larger in diameter.
Spend the money for an authorized reproduction fan! The generic aftermarket fan had a warning sticker on it that said not to exceed 4,000rpm.
It's been a few years, and I never got around to making the mounting tabs for the shroud. The HD fan and 4-row radiator has kept my truck cool in Atlanta traffic in the summer. The fan, even set so far back, pulls enough air at idle to suck a piece of paper tight to the radiator from the front. It moves a LOT of air.
I expect it to pull birds out of the sky once I finally get the shroud on.
I just found another auto-trans full shroud and snapped it up. Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested.
-Brad
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...85#post8050385

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote