View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Manland Customs

Aussie 81 GMC 3500 "Project Hillbilly"

Gday guys.

Thought I'd post a thread on our newly bought "shop" truck used primarily for towing duties over here in the land down under. These are certainly not a common sight over here and local "utes" (pickups) have got very sub par towing capacities so this was certainly a score for us.

She is a 81 GMC 3500 3+3 Camper Special, sold in 1981 by Mel Rapton Pontiac in Sacremento. Further details are a little hazy but she has been here since at least 1993 and was converted over to RHD upon landing here for compliancing. She is powered by a 454 BBC backed by a T400, diff unknown as I haven't got that far or the knowledge to check it. She runs on gas (Propane) and has a 300l (80 Gallon) gas tank up back in the tray. She has what appears to be after market wheels or trims on it and is set up for towing via a Hayman Reece style 50x50 setup, as well as gooseneck setup in tray.

We bought her for the princely sum of $5000 Australian and came registered (licensed) which given the cost of our registration over here to have it on the road (V8's are currently around the $1100 per year mark to be able to drive it on the road), that was a good thing. She has a few rust issues, in particular around the top of the door frames on the cab, a spot on the back of the cab, and there was rust on the top of the tray where a canopy had obviously been previous.

Interior is in decent condition bar the RHD seatbelt which I need to try and source as it's mechanism is broken, carpets shagged but one of my trimmer mates should be able to knock something up for us, in the short term there is just some local part shop mats on the floor for now.

Manland Customs is offline   Reply With Quote