View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #59
hatzie

Re: Hatzies 2005 2500HD

Replaced the speakers in the rear suicide doors Yesterday. The originals were only making an occasional light squeak even with the fader set all the way to R so I was worried I had a mouse chew somewhere in the wiring.
The electrical connectors for the UQ3 & UQ7 speakers were the same so they plugged right in.
The replacements worked as soon as I plugged them in so the old 15 year old speakers were just plain dead.
The dead speaker part number GM 15071125 seems to coincide properly with the UQ3 "enhanced speakers" my truck left the factory with... unlike the front door speakers.

The GM 15288247 Bose replacements seem to fill in the middle audio spectrum. Essentially I have Woofers and Tweeters in the front doors and Mid speakers in the rear doors and it actually sounds pretty good.

To get to the speakers you have to pull off the inner door panel.

This is an Extra-cab with narrow suicide doors. The only thing I could find about removal of the inner panels on these doors was this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58R8ARNRTCw

The panels come off fairly easily if you're careful.
  1. Remove two 7mm hex screws in the centre bottom of the cup holder and mid-point in the bottom of the door pull pocket. They're hard to miss. 00:05 -00:09 in the above video.
  2. Pull straight out on the door latch handle surround at the top to clear the metal trim clips from the rectangular holes. You must remove from the top. There are plastic hooks at the bottom that will break if you pry on it from the bottom. Once it's free of the door panel pull the door latch handle in while rotating and lifting the surround up and off.
  3. Pull straight out on the plastic inner door beauty panel to release all the metal trim clips from the rectangular holes in the metal inner door skin. I started at the top next to the door catch and pulled the panel away all around the window then down the sides while keeping it reasonably parallel to the door itself. GM door panel clip towers are very easy to break off. DO NOT ROTATE or TILT THE PANEL WHILE ANY CLIPS ARE STILL LATCHED.

Step #2 picture shows the back of the door handle trim cover with the metal clips and plastic hooks.

Step #3 picture shows the positions of the trim clips and the slots for the handle surround clips.
Both of my rear door panels were missing the metal clips from the tower just below the door handle trim hole.

Once the panel is off inspect the plastic vapor barrier sheets. All four of the rectangular and the bottom and top 6" of the long forward sheet were loose. You can re-glue lifted or loose sheets. I use Sta-Put spray contact adhesive. It's essentially spray-on contact glue. You spray it on both surfaces and wait til it's tacky then stick them together. I masked the area of the inner door panel not covered by the plastic beauty panel with painters tape and newspaper.
You can see the loose and mis-aligned plastic vapor barriers I had to glue back in place on this door along with the new freshly installed speaker.

These are the actual speakers.
GM 15288247 UQ7 (BOSE) on the LEFT and GM 15071125 UQ3 speaker on the RIGHT.
Just like the front door speakers. The UQ7 speaker has a noticeably larger magnet.
The steel spring clip on the UQ7 speakers is fairly stiff steel but it was crunched down somewhat from shipping. I spread them open, with quite a bit of effort, so they wouldn't rattle in the doors.

1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 03-30-2019 at 06:05 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote