View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #35
HO455
Post Whore

Re: STOCK 67-72 Steering Wheels

My Burban had a 80's/90's steering column and wheel in it when I bought it. (Yes the 2nd photo is of the column I removed, nice upgrade!) That was one first things to go. I found a wheel listed on C/L with a bunch of other odd stuff. It took three weeks to actually talk with the people who listed it. When I finally got to meet up with them I found out the wheel had been hanging on the wall of her art gallery since 1977 along with a bunch of 50's Ford chrome bits and other stuff. She had painted it a Hunter green and under that it looks to be the correct color for my 503 green truck. We tried to get the dark green off but it didn't want to come off. It ended up black when my buddy who was helping with the rest of the steering column replacement painted it when he painted the column, so now I have two layers of paint to remove.
Has anyone successfully stripped paint off a wheel without damaging it? If so how did you do it?
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote