View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #37
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: STOCK 67-72 Steering Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
They all had grain originally. Those that are smooth have had the grain gradually worn off through use. It also appears there were two different grain patterns on the rim. I have always believed those with the finer grain, such as mine, were the truck wheels and those with the larger grain pattern were from the 70s vans. It's also possible the larger grain is just one stage of the wear process that mine never got to. I believe the reproduction wheels also have the smaller grain pattern, but the grain is much "sharper" than I recall the originals ever being. However, that may only be my imagination.

The wheels that are not painted can be buffed to a high gloss.
No kidding, all the "truck" wheels were like yours, post 13?

The replacement I bought may may have been painted. I say this not just because it's duller than my others wheels, but by the looks of the part number. If my junk wheel survives it, I think I'll try some brake fluid on the area, see what happens. If it's painted I'll have it soda blasted.

What tools & materials do you recommend for buffing?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote