View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #67
dave`12

Re: Hard start question

thanx for the replies. here is a pic, you can see that i have what should be the right port for the advance. good advice, and pics here for others that may stumble upon this thread with problems, but i don't see how that would cause my issue.

I have a new optima red top, 2 gauge cables, and I sanded where the neg goes to the block. my voltage is good across all the tests.

my starter gets pretty hot, but no hotter than the oil pan. engine does not seem to run hot, does not go further than 1/4 (first line) on the stock gauge. Really not sure what number 1/4 is on the gauge, but that can't be too hot. Of course I'm assuming it works correctly. It does move up as the engine warms up, then down a tick when the electric fans kick in.

So I have the heat shield I had taken off the starter when I removed the headers, I'm gonna put that back on.

But here is the thing, with NO pipe, just manifold when i took it to the muffler shop, it did the same thing, so unless the exhaust blowing on the starter was so hot, then it's not even the pipe!

I've been told from a reliable source that the Ford seleniod won't help as my starter does turn, so my selenoid is not the issue, it's the starter itself.

In the pics you can see where my advance is hooked up. Also a pic of the clearance between pipe and starter, and one of the gauge - sits on first line when warmed up.

I may have to spring for the high torque starter and change nose cones like vette recommended...
Attached Images

Last edited by dave`12; 03-22-2017 at 03:26 PM.
dave`12 is offline   Reply With Quote