View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
cal30_sniper

Re: Project Odysseus - K30/C20 Suburban Snowball Project

I'm just about ready to swap the C to a K in my signature line. Hopefully the C20 frame will come out this weekend, and the K20 frame will be ready to go in after painting and adding some of the exhaust brackets and driveshaft carrier bearing mount crossmember from the C20 frame. I'll add some pictures when I get my phone photos transferred over to the computer, but I'm up to date with the following hurdles in the project:

-Welded ORD steering box reinforcement plate to the K20 frame, notched and boxed k-member to clear the 8.1L oil pan (and carry the extra weight of the engine), and reinforced the rear shock mount locations. Then I stripped the entire frame to bare metal, and gave it three coats of SPI black epoxy primer. It went back together with all new TBI fuel lines and new brake lines front to rear. I still have to run the wiring for the taillights and fuel pump. While it was apart, the frame got all new black phosphate grade 8 bolts from McMaster-Carr in the factory diameter and lengths. I added bolts to the engine crossmember, as well as replacing all the rivets I had to cut with 7/16" flanged Grade 8 bolts. Hopefully it will be solid enough to survive the extra weight of the new components bolted to it.

-Repaired both rusted areas in the lower windshield corners, stripped the entire firewall, trans tunnel, window channel, and forward portion of the roof, and painted with two coats of SPI white epoxy, two coats of SPI white epoxy mixed 50/50 with ceramic microspheres and sprayed with an undercoating gun (for heat insulation), and two coats of PPG single stage in the original tan color on top. I did the ceramic insulation to the firewall and trans tunnel to try and cut down on the excessive cabin footwell heat while towing long distances. I also brush painted inside the cowl, up to the windshield seam, and down into the vent channels on the side of the cab with copious coats of Rustoleum desert tan paint (near perfect match for the factory color).

-Pulled the Dana 60 front axle, round pattern NP205, 1-ton springs, and JB8 front and rear brakes from the K30 3+3. All will be getting cleaned, painted, and installed once the frame is in.

-The NP205 is currently disassembled on the workbench. It's already cleaned and painted. The output housing is with ORD for the VSS sensor modification. Once it gets back, the case will get a reseal job with a 32 spline short input shaft and ORD twinstick shifter conversion.

Once the frame is underneath, I'll get the 1-ton springs and axles put in. After the NP205 is back together, my workbench will get taken over by the NV4500 for a mainshaft swap to convert it to 4x4. The NP205 should be a direct bolt on after that. I'll drop the engine and trans in together, and then wrestle in the NP205. I'm hoping that my headers clear the front spring shackles. I already know the exhaust is going to require modification to get around the transfer case on the passenger side, but I'd prefer not to get new headers.

I just got my new Esco Compaq high lift jack in. Coupled with the four 12 ton jackstands and engine hoist that I have, I should be able to get the whole truck 29" up in the air for the frame swap. It should also make the transfer case installation a bit easier having it that far up. That NP205 is quite heavy.
01 Ram 2500 - 5.9L Magnum, daily driver
91 BMW 325i - Chumpcar series racecar
cal30_sniper is offline   Reply With Quote