View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
cal30_sniper

Re: Project Odysseus - K30/C20 Suburban Snowball Project

POST 2: INTERIOR ROOF AND FIREWALL PAINT

I broke the interior paint job into two sections. First, I painted the roof, sides, and firewall area. Once that was done, I painted the floorboards. That way, I wasn't walking on fresh paint while attempting to do second and third coats.

First, everything was thoroughly cleaned with Klean-strip and brillo pads to remove the remains of jute padding and all the sticky nasty stuff stuck to the floors. Then I washed it out several times with dawn dish soap and hot water. The next step was a full sanding with an 80 grit dual action rotary sander, followed by cleaning and degreasing prior to paint. I then masked everything with a mixture of plastic sheet, paper, and masking tape.

Because I was spraying inside the vehicle with an HVLP gun (and using hardener), I set up one of my shop fans for ventilation, and suited up with a full tyvek suit, gloves, and fresh air breathing hood:

For paint, I used quart-sized cans of Rustoleum Desert Sand colored paint, thinned 50% with Xylene, with the recommended amount of Valspar Tractor and Implement Paint Enamel Hardener. I sprayed it out of my Devilbiss HVLP gun with a 1.5 tip. Everything got three coats:

01 Ram 2500 - 5.9L Magnum, daily driver
91 BMW 325i - Chumpcar series racecar
cal30_sniper is offline   Reply With Quote