View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #30
Killer Bee

Re: dash speaker 1964-1966 - mounting tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
I'm wondering if an 8 inch round speaker will fit in there somehow.

My truck's radio hole was cut for a '70's radio, professionally by the look of it. It had an AM radio that actually works in it, but the speaker was torn.
The problem is that it takes an 8 ohm impedance speaker and an 8 inch, 8 ohm round one is still available. A modern 4 ohm speaker would kill the old radio.
Dont want to drop too much cash on it. I mostly listen to talk radio anyway.
you might find what you're looking for here http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm poc Greg

very knowledgeable about vintage radios and speakers and very helpful..

I originally ordered a 6" round not knowing what would fit and Greg accepted the exchange for a 6" x 9" after I got into it..

so fun story - when I was about 12ish, the speaker went out in our '65.. uncle had some leftovers from a tv repair shop he owned previously so I picked out the largest round speaker I could find and installed it.. unfortunately, in the early 80's at the ripe old age of 12, I had no idea I'd be regretting what I was about to do.. so, of course the unique speaker and wacky bracket was removed and tossed [sidebar story of irony - overbuilt steel support bracket system installed instead of simply mounting the speaker to the dash with four trim screws, yet the glovebox is made out of cardboard] and a giant round speaker installed with, yep, you guessed it, sheet metal screws.. and not poorly done I might add, but holes drilled through the dash none the less..

it worked great putting around the farm when dad would let me turn the radio on and never gave it a second thought..

so now, while trying to clean this poor old truck up and make it more passenger friendly, I'm faced with recovering from those childhood mistakes..

the am radio survived 30 years of use with the 4-6ohm tv speaker I had installed so I set off to find a replacement speaker only to find the big challenge so many others have encountered before me..

so I can't help with the mounting portion of your quest.. and good luck finding those parts, I'm sure they're some of the first items picked when someone in the know finds them.. but Greg at S & M Electro-Tech is a good start for locating the proper speaker..

good luck!
Killer Bee is online now   Reply With Quote