View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
68c10airstream

Re: Need components for RetroSound

My polk momo's were the model that had a separate crossover box for a small tweeter that could be mounted anywhere or centered in the grill over the 6.5's. I use the 6.5's without the crossovers and tweeter. I listen to cd's and minidisc's because of the nice audio quality but as i get older (60) and after listening to screaming equipment at a steamplant the high notes i don't really care for. I run 10" polk woofers behind the bench seat, no amp yet, and all i do is use the fader for front/rear balance depending on the bass i want.

I put the sony 6x9's in my dodge minivan and it sounded great, especially because of the rear being open and carpeted, but the highs were a little bright with higher volumes, but ok.

Your question on 6x9 in kick panels would be real tight. As an idea if you like the upper end frequency consider using a good 6-6'5's in the kick panels, woofers in the rear, and then use the stock speaker location at the top of the dash and take the tweeters and mount the two of them side by side on the underside and cant (angle) them away from each other slightly to bounce the sound off of the windshield at you and the passenger. This would be a lot like late model vehicles with tweeters in the "A" pillar (ahead of the front doors). I like to hide as much of my mods as possible and the only speakers they would see are the kick panels. As a side note, highs are usually mounted up high and bass down low.

I love music, both daughters played oboes, and i sold all of my solid state amps and built tube amps, tube preamp, going through klipsch klf 20's with exponential horn tweeters/mids with pairs of 12" woofers. Tube= second order harmonics, solid state= third order harmonics. And i don't have a single mp3 song.

If you would like to try the dual tweeters in the center of the dash i will send you the crossovers and tweeters. These were not cheap tweeters!!

Last edited by 68c10airstream; 08-22-2017 at 10:47 PM.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote