View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 AM   #8
87Skier

Re: What do you think about traction control, ABS, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
You just can't compare new vehicle technology with the level in our trucks....that's just the way it is.
The newer vehicles are drastically safer and improved in so many ways that we now take for granted. They are faster, quieter, better built, safer, more economic, more powerful.....sigh....simple fact of life.
That said tho'....one thing they are not is unique, cool or overly interesting or individual in appearance, or even good looking for that matter.
That is why we are all here sharing the classic truck hobby.....and not the 2012 Toyota Camry blog....lol, and hopefully there isn't one of those.
If you stand back the next time you are at parking lot is amazing how similar the cars all look now....and how 90% of them are all even in the same color group...ie: silver, white or black.
On top of that...the appearance as defined by everyone reaching the same wind tunnel conclusions....which is increasingly potato shaped.
Nothing quite as boring as a road full of silver potatoes.....(but they are safer)...lol

Coley
My brothers and I often joke about the "bloated" nature of today's cars. They've lost their shape, and to me look like they took a car from ten years ago and set of a small explosion inside and BAM new car.

I assure you, a 2012 Toyota Camry forum does exist, but I highly doubt they do much more than troubleshoot and discuss which engine is best for their camry, the "Gallo 12 or the Gallo 24?" (I'll let you google that one).

I've driven quite a few vehicles over the passed couple years, and feel increasing removed from the driving experience. I haven't had too many run-ins with traction control. One of my vehicles has ABS, but I've never been in a situation that ABS would have been the difference.

I agree with the safer, quieter, smoother, but more powerful? In terms of 70's numbers to 2010's numbers, I agree, but in terms of what's in them now. I say we have a leg up there.

Truckster makes a good point: It's good for people who don't know what they are doing.

This is exactly what scares me though. People who don't know what they are doing, don't realize they are on the verge of losing control, then they are out of control doing 360's down the interstate.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote