View Single Post
Old 01-10-2024, 10:38 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: 1972 parking brake cable clamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
Bringing back an old thread. Is this supposed to clamp the cable housing in place so it doesn’t move? Just received the part from gmc Paul’s and the entire cable housing moves. So my park brake pedal gets lower and the brake doesn’t set. Am I supposed to smash the clamp around the cable somehow so it won’t move?
The clamp prevents the cable's exterior from slipping. The end fits into the cable just right, assuming the right parts. Make sure to grease stuff. My notes on it........Make sense or help?

• Release the pedal. Insert the cable’s spring wrap into the cable’s clamp so the clamp attaches to the pedal assembly’s front RH side. The cables spring wrap’s top seats against the “stop” on the cable’s clamp. The clamp mounts using the pedal assembly’s center hole, with the clamp’s tab inserted into the assembly’s bottom hole.

• The cable’s clamp secures to the pedal assembly with one (GR5) 1/2" hex bolt, hex nut and split washer. The bolt threads are 5/16-18 x 7/8”, and the head is stamped “D”. The assembly from the LH side is: bolt > pedal assembly > clamp > split washer > hex nut.

The cable retainer puller is shaped similar to a tuner fork. The puller mounts to the pedal assembly’s top hole with a clevis and cotter pin, assembled from the LH side as: clevis > retainer puller > pedal > retainer puller > cotter pin.

The front parking brake cable’s rubber sleeve positions on top of the LH front shock, and against the frame rail to protect those and the LH inner fender from the cable.

• The front parking brake cable inserts straight through the hole in the LH frame rail’s front outer wall. The cable secures to the rail with a spider spring clip. This clip can be removed using a hose clamp to compress the spring.

• The front parking brake cable retainers have a rectangular hole and are unstamped. The retainers install as:

o One retains the cable to the LH inner fender’s top using a (GR 5) 1/2" hex recessed head tapered bolt with spin washer. The bolt threads are 5/16-18 x 7/8”, and the head is stamped “E”. This retainer positions the cable nearest the firewall.

o One retains the cable to the frame rail’s outer wall, located approximately 3" rear of the front shock’s top. This retainer mounts with a (GR 5) 1/2" hex bolt, hex nut and split washer, with the bolt inserted from the outside. The bolt threads are 5/16-18 x 7/8”, and the head is stamped “D”. This retainer positions the cable at approximately 7 o’clock.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-10-2024 at 10:52 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote