View Single Post
Old 01-11-2024, 08:29 PM   #18
RustyPile

Re: 1972 parking brake cable clamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
I have the finger of the clamp in the hole as pictured and this is a brand new cable from inline tube. The cable moves freely inside of the housing. The entire park brake cable system is new from inline tube. I have everything installed according to how the factory ran them. Idk what’s going on because the front cable slips forwards and backwards inside of the clamp. I appreciate everyone’s help, I just don’t understand what I have going on.
If the housing is moving back and forth through the clamp, it's probably because the cable is binding in the housing.. If you distorted the clamp enough to collapse the housing, that's your problem...

I'm not talking about the tab at the end of the clamp that goes into a hole in the kick panel.. I'm talking about the finger in the loop part of the clamp.. The cable housing goes through the loop, another way to put it is: the clamp wraps around the cable housing with the end of the housing touching the edge of that finger.. By design, the cable housing doesn't have any force applied to it that would make it move toward the firewall.. The force that is applied makes it "want" to move toward the dash.. That finger prevents that movement. The clamp does clamp down on the cable, but any great amount.

I disagree with those instructing you to "smash" the clamp.. If you collapse the housing, the cable will bind inside the housing and you'll have a mess freeing it up.. When the parking brake is released, the only thing that releases the cable is the springs on the brake shoes.. The cables (yes, plural.. There 4 sections that make up the cable assembly) have to be able to move freely..

----{EDIT}----

Have you installed all the clamps, there's more than just the one under the dash.. About 16 inches down the cable housing from where it passed through the firewall and enters the engine bay, there's a clamp that fastens the housing to the inner fender.. And another clamp is located near the upper shock mount about a foot before the cable housing passes through the frame.. Those 3 clamps should hold the cable housing securely and prevent any movement of the cable.

Last edited by RustyPile; 01-12-2024 at 04:46 AM.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote