View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #4
izzy_Britton

Re: Project: Delongdium - The Plastic Clad 03 Avalanch

Two weekends ago I went to install the hood and fender and couldnt for the life of me figure out why the fender didnt fit the radiator support. Turns out that the radiator support that I was using, new on the shelf, was for another project, a 2500HD. As it turned out I actually had another radiator support that was only slightly being used. The other radiator support that I had was a bolted to the frame horns of the WHO DCTR truck I have been slowly building for my wife.

With the correct radiator support in place the fender and hood were able to be bolted on, however there was still a problem with fitment. The right front body mount on the frame was bent rearward preventing the radiator support from bolting up properly. I made a little tool to bend the mount forward, it is a piece of 3 inch wide 3/8 inch thick 2 feet long flat bar stock with some sections of chain welded to it for misc attachment points so that I could pull from different angles to keep the mount straight. It is almost exactly the right width to weld it centered on the body mount with a foot and a half hanging off the end of the mount to use as leverage. I used some old tow chain for the attachment points and some more tow chain with a hook to connect between my trucks trailer hitch and this mad max weapon looking thing.

Crappy pic, but it is the only one that I took of the tool or the operation of bending the mount. I was able to use my daily driver, a 2001 1500 4x4 in 4 HI at an idle to just slowly move the body mount back to where it needed to go. I put the truck in drive and took up the slack and then got out of the truck, using my body to just bounce my butt against the bumper like i was nudging my truck forward, the body mount moved slowly. the funny thing is, when the mount was at where I was thinking was straight inline with the left side mount, my tack welds broke and the tool came free of the body mount leaving me chasing after my truck while it drove across the parking lot without me. Lucky for me 4HI is very high geared and i was able to catch it after only a few parking spaces. Was a comic act to say the least.

After grinding what was left of my tack welds clean i used some 3M spray on rubberized undercoating over the paint free frame for an almost OEM look.

I was then able to mount the fender and hood again. I did learn my lesson using an aftermarket fender tho, this thing fits like pure $#!T. I had to grind out bolt holes in the fender as well as in the body and i had to beat on the body mounts with a mini sledge hammer to get it to fit ALMOST properly. the fender to door gap looks like crap in my opinion but my wife said leave it, its a salvage title truck going to an 18 year old, He wont notice.

The hood gap left a little to be desired but after it is painted and I can begin to install the grill, head lamps and marker lamps there is still room for adjustment, unlike the fender, the hood hinge bolts allow for some movement and tweaking.

However, while mounting the fender, and swinging said mini sledge I missed my 2x4 nudge stick and nailed the right front door 4 inches aft of the upper door hinge leaving a good sized dent.

Bondo, primer and block sanding made it look pretty okay. I am not a body and paint guy but I was pleased with the outcome.

enough for now. more to come later
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote