View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
MMcMasters

Father/Son 67 SWB project- Picture Heavy

My son is 13 now and has always wanted a late 60's C10 truck. He has been saving his grass cutting money and chore money from his grandparents for the last three years but he's still on a tight budget.

My deal with him is I will put money in the truck as long as he works with me and shows a strong interest in the project. I also told him that if I end up doing the work without him, the truck will be mine. It's my hope that this will keep him wanting to be around his dad for a little while longer. I have been dreading the teen age years when he starts to think Dad isn't that cool anymore so maybe this will buy me some time

We have been working on the truck for a few months so I will bring it up to where we are right now.

A very good friend gave me a killer deal on a 67 short bed. There is no drive train, the cab has the usual rust and the bed floor is a mess. But for what we bought it for, I couldn't pass it up.

Here is the day we picked it up

We put a plan together and immediately started tearing it apart.

It came apart surprisingly easy. No broken bolts and no drama. My son spent his Saturday morning building a body cart for his cab and I have to say, he did a pretty good job.

Chassis disassembly was next. We intend on using RideTechs level 2 coil over suspension so we blew everything apart and got rid of everything we didn't need. Cutting rivets is a loud and time consuming job but we knocked it out in a day.

I also up[graded to 9/16" u bolts for the front lower control arms

Rear suspension is all mocked up

Well the dirty part is done. We took it all back apart and dropped it off for powder coat two weeks ago. We pick it up tonight.

I have already found a great deal on a 2010 L96 iron block and a 4L65. More on that later. Please let us know what you think, good or bad, about what we have done or what we plan to do.

Thanks for looking,

Mike
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote