View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #18
MARTINSR

Re: Door hinge bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
My 59 has fine threads, I believe it is to make it easier to barely loosen for adjustment.

Also "Size for size a fine thread is stronger than a coarse thread . This is both in tension (because of the larger stress area) and shear (because of their larger minor diameter). 2. Fine threads have also less tendency to loosen since the thread incline is smaller and hence so is the off torque" according to my mechanical design textbook.

Do not know if the 55.2-57 had coarse threads or fine.
Beautifully explained! Now even I understand. LOL No, really, that makes sense.

I don't know if you have been to traffic court but you sound like the cop and I sound like the guy who go the ticket,

Judge: Officer O'Mally can you please explain what you saw?

Officer O'Mally: Yes your honor, I was sitting in my patrol car on fifth street 38 feet on the North/West corner of Main street and fifth. It was 78 degrees with a Easterly wind of 12.5 MPH. I witnessed Mr. Martin driving toward me Northbound on Main street in what appeared to be excessive speed. I pointed my Binford 1200 Radar detector which is calibrated a the factory at 65.8 MPH and checked by me every morning at 8:12 AM in my patrol car with the Tuning fork proved by Binford. My radar gun displayed 38.4 MPH speed of Mr. Martin's car. Main street has a 30 MPH speed limit so I pulled Mr. Martin over and gave him a ticket.

Judge: Mr. Martin, can you now give your side.

Mr. Martin: Duh, I wasn't speeding.

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote